Anna

Moving a load to another vehicle

Another of my crazy ideas....

What if I want to take a job to an inland train station.  But it's on another continent (i.e. not Het).  Load it on a ship, go to a port with a Transshipment Hub, move it to a truck, drive it to a station, and load it on a train...

Of course there are all sorts of issues, the Transshipment Hub would have to have a warehouse, and you would have to rent space (in G$) for the amount of the load that won't fit in the truck, so you can make many trips....  and others I didn't consider.

• Like 3

I would love a way to transfer goods from one GTFO-enabled vehicle to another.  Many of the routes that I have been attempting start out as road routes and then require crossing water, or flying, in order to deliver the freight on time.

This is where amphibious vehicles really come into play. Whilst the type of hub you can deliver to will be limited based on the classification of your vehicle - the method you use to arrive there is totally up to you ?

Go to a seaport via road first, or cross stretches of water before heading inland on roads to make it to the road hub. There must be currently around half a dozen amphibs set up for GTFO, and I'm pretty sure most handle roads and open linden land just as well as they handle water.

The way GTFO is set up, the vehicles are put into the database with a certain load size. So when you load, the virtual freight is placed on your vehicle to fill up that size. To change to a system like this would completely alter the game mechanics as they sit, and probably disrupt game play more than it would enhance it. Some people just like to hop in a boat or plane and make a couple runs. Others like to plan out multi-leg routes and really get into the freight hauler role. You could definitely role play something like that by delivering a haul to a multi-vehicle-type hub, switch vehicles, load up again and head off, altering the core mechanics of the game to this type of system would be pretty much building an entirely different game. I do love all the "crazy ideas" I see and some we are definitely trying to work into the game, so please keep them coming!

On 8/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, Anna said:

Another of my crazy ideas....

What if I want to take a job to an inland train station.  But it's on another continent (i.e. not Het).  Load it on a ship, go to a port with a Transshipment Hub, move it to a truck, drive it to a station, and load it on a train...

Of course there are all sorts of issues, the Transshipment Hub would have to have a warehouse, and you would have to rent space (in G$) for the amount of the load that won't fit in the truck, so you can make many trips....  and others I didn't consider.

The dreaded "Void" regions of Second Life have been known for over a decade to be the bane of transport all over the grid. By all appearances placid from the outside, any brave or foolhardy adventurers that have found their way into them have either never returned, or shivered and whispered in fearful stutters of a place known as "The Cornfield", or babble about gazing into the abyss of "Infinite Lag". Some even return missing their hair, or eyes!

In order to cater for the transportation of goods between the noncontiguous continents, the Linden Moles did as their name suggests. To traverse the voids, they burrowed secret tunnels, constructing a vast, subterranean network of high-speed monorail lines. Rumour has it that enterprising land owners have found a way to offer access to these tunnels and their high technology transport capability by means of a device known as the "Experience Teleport."

Movement of vehicles directly through these tunnels is not possible (due to wibbly wobbly), but shipping centres built around these access points can become hubs, allowing the transportation of freight from one continent to another. Such hubs would be allocated a twin elsewhere, with some data field signifying their relationship, where freight delivered to one such hub, becomes immediately available as freight at the other.

Transportation to other vehicles:

A new class of hubs appears. In framework, a copy of the existing list of hubs with the same data structures. These are not permanent hubs, they are appended to an initially empty list when an operator uses an option on their HUD to create a Temporary Hub. This opens up a new form of job, "Transfer" (in addition to "Courier" or "Freight") . Such a vehicle operator may be able to create a number of Transfer request jobs up to the limit of their vehicle's FU, and the delivery destination will be locked in as the region they were in when they activated their vehicle as a temporary hub. Eligible vehicles for delivery will be any of Air/Sea/Land determined by three Yes/No questions, and eligible only for vehicles up to the size of the one the requester is sitting in when they activate the request. If there is a conflict with an actual hub on the region, the job can be refused creation, citing regulation and trade protection law that gives all hubs a de-facto monopoly on all freight within 256m.

TLDR; Allow Vehicles to become temporary hubs and offer jobs up to their FU limit.

When the receiver has a vehicle full of goods (reaching max FU) they can transport those to any eligible receiving hub. The goods on their vehicle will expire within Y hours, causing a default on any open job, or no more eligibility to choose jobs from where they are outside of a hub region. Otherwise their vehicle itself remains as a temporary hub, with offers of freight for those who request "alternative" hubs to move goods from.

GTFO Revenue Agents may or may not have a HUD that can scan for such illict off-hub goods transfers... Or perhaps when you enter a region with an "unsanctioned" or "temporary" hub, your HUD turns red instead of black, but you can pick up the job just the same.

Basically this is smuggling in GTFO >.> based on the limited understanding I have of how things work, and sticking within those confines.

Edited by Yorkie Bardeen
stuff
  • Ideal 3

Very cool ideas ? its going to be fun to see how GTFO evolves over time!

One thing I am currently looking at for Infinity Freight vehicles, is the simulation of transfer of goods from a heap on the ground, to a vehicle, then back to a heap on the ground somewhere else. In the longer term, this could also transfer goods from one vehicle to another. (it is not really moving objects, but it hides/shows them to give the simulation of doing so).

The first experiments I am doing is with logs of lumber - big bits of tree trunk, but there is no reason why this can't be expanded out to other forms of cargo, crates, containers, etc.

My thought is that it may help as a little bit of RP extra detail, that runs alongside GTFO.

So you might take a GTFO job, loading up a truck with lumber from a stack on the ground at a small GTFO hub. The stack is way bigger than your truck can carry in one trip. You haul this load to maybe a nearby railroad hub, or a boat dock. If a suitable train or boat is there, you can unload next to it, and the cargo visually leaves your truck, and appears on the train. But it will take several loads to fill a train! so either you go back to the log stack for more, or you work in a team with other players to convoy the stacks of logs out to fill the train. When the train is full, you can run the train load over to the port, shift the logs to a barge, cross waterways, unload them somewhere else, truck them to the sawmill....

Its mostly just theories in my head just now, and a lot will require some RP and imagination from those doing the hauling, but its a fun step to be able to see things leave one place, and go somewhere else. It would have to be scripted by creators into the vehicles doing the transfer, and would not need any change to the function of the GTFO game mechanics, just provide some extra interactive things to play with along the way ? 

Edited by Claire
  • Like 1

aka Atomic Infinity.   Builder & scripter behind the Infinity Freight range of vehicles and navigation HUDS, with GTFO! features built-in.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/182889

1724424142_forumbannerpic.thumb.jpg.242f947140f17c5bec2aad96c3ca8cb3.jpg

That is an option I thought of also Claire and one I suggested a while back to Rez and the Team.

Another option I did wonder about would be to have for instance a Container/Package that could be tracked by a script inside of it, so that you could at any time check on its location around the grid, via some sort of GPS locator built into the GTFO! HUD, or a separate Operators HUD. This could be an interesting concept but would require some way of transferring ownership to the haulier of those Container/Packages so that they could be linked to their vehicle for transporting, using a link unlink scripted blue dialogue menu, maybe have it set to group so only GTFO! operators can move the cargo, I dunno it's just an idea I have been playing with in my mind. I haven't put pen to paper yet to work out any of the scriptings on that idea.

The next bit of my cargo-shifting simulation experiments... the new connex trailer transfers the texture of the connex on the truck, onto the ground stack when you unload. Then the stack transfers it on to the next truck that loads up from it.

So if you make a custom connex texture with your logo on it, and add it to the 'contents' of the connex trailer or the ground stack, you can apply it with the dialog menu. Once the script has learned your texture, you can go 'deliver' that connex to any stack, and then other drivers can pick it up and take it elsewhere ?

connex trailer 7.jpg

connex trailer 8.jpg

connex trailer 9.jpg

• Like 4

aka Atomic Infinity.   Builder & scripter behind the Infinity Freight range of vehicles and navigation HUDS, with GTFO! features built-in.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/182889

1724424142_forumbannerpic.thumb.jpg.242f947140f17c5bec2aad96c3ca8cb3.jpg