Hi there, I just got an offline that a survey bot (GridData01) got ejected by my security system. Normally I wouldn't mind except it was ejected from the(non-GTFO) workshop for my stores. The reason I'm bringing this up here is in the hope of information. The bot's picks says that it's gathering data on the mainland, including providing route information for GTFO operators "- Generate maps of no fly/boat zones and rez zones to assist GTFO players and boating/sailing enthusiasts. ". Is this true and if so anyone know where can we find the info? Would be very handy! If it's not correct just wondering if anyone knows where/who it's from? Just unusual it would pop into a workshop at 4000m is all.

Hi Leal,

The survey bot in question does not belong to GTFO. I will see if I can find who owns it and why it says that. I do have plans to collect route data from actual GTFO runs. But I agree, a bot could easily become intrusive. 

I'll see what I can find out and let you know. 

Cinn

this account i asked as well who owns it, as i banned one of the bots from same company and she was wondering why. they had at this time no info in profile, but claimed to do survey for gtfo and others. i requested her to place infos about owner, company, what they survey etc in profil, otherwise will be banned regardless what they claim.

Hi Joan,

Thank you for sharing this info. I want to be very clear, no one from GTFO is gathering data using bots. And no one using bots to gather data has contacted any of us at GTFO. Furthermore, we do not want generalized data about regions. When we start collecting route data it will be just that, data about how people who do GTFO do their routes. Don't worry, no one's personal information will be collected. We will put virtual dots on the map which show routes taken and where from and to. But if we look at the "dots" after data collection, there is no link back to who ran that route. And before we collect any data, we will make sure everyone is aware of anything being collected and that their privacy is completely in safe with us. 

Joan, I do see why you would ban these bots. I wish they would not say they are collecting data for GTFO. I will contact Linden Lab to see if they can be stopped, but I have a feeling that they will not do anything about it. 

Hope we solve the puzzle of who is behind it. Maybe they mean well and we can make some changes and make use of their desire to be helpful. 

Cinn

So they are still out there visiting places.  Were you able to work anything out with them?  I personally don't care if someone pulls into my store or park they are not hurting anything, as long as they don't spam others.

They're multiplying.

When I first encountered GridData02, a search of "GridData" came up with three names. Now there is:

• GridData
  • GridData01
  • GridData02
  • GridData03
  • GridData04

In the profiles for GD01-03, they no longer mention GTFO, but have the following:

"This account is owned and operated by SecondCreations. This account is used to collect data about the mainland for the following purposes:

- Generate maps of no fly/boat zones and rez zones to assist boating/sailing enthusiasts.
- Mainland ownership, population and traffic per continent.
- Search data (number of parcels set to appear in search and what categories they are in)

Some of this data is published on the profile of GridData  (Please contact that account with questions/complaints)"

GridData has some apparent traffic stats in the profile and the note, "Bots visiting too often? Please send me a notecard with the region and parcel details and I will sort this out for you."

GridData and GridData 01-03 have picks that have "Help Island Public, Help Island Public  (128, 128, 27)" as the TP location. GridData04's profile is currently blank.

I've had these in my parcels too.  Can't see what harm they do, and maybe they help.

I also have an object that interacts with Triple Peccable's Ban-Line HUD system.  It's there to get the info displayed by the HUD faster while reducing the script load.

I'm all in favour of this stuff on a voluntary basis.

You're welcome too.