Quinn

Tracking hubs when they go offline

I've been thinking about the issue of hubs disappearing or going offline when their owners sell up, abandon the land, or return the land to their landlord. A suggestion: what if hub owners were required to rezz an object with a script on their land - a script whose only job would be to say "I'm here!" to a website (this one?) at regular intervals? (Every day or two, if we're just checking that the hub hasn't been sold off; every few minutes, if we're also checking that the sim's online - and assuming the host can handle the traffic.)

The script could also check if the parcel has changed ownership since the last time the script was triggered (and, of course, that the object is still on the same parcel).

This should be fairly simple to implement in SL, various RP groups and others use something similar. At the website end, the server script only needs to update a database table that can be reported on the website. A list of 'hubs that haven't reported in' for (say) 24 hours should be enough to allow volunteers to check on the status of hubs and file the appropriate removal requests.

• Ideal 1

That sounds like a really good idea, and hopefully one that can be implemented :classic_smile:

If I can add, it would be good if  hub owners were just able to get a no-mod script, so that they could just drop it into an existing item they already have at their hub ie: a sign or building.

• Like 1

This is a good idea and I suggested something similar to both Cinn and Kelly for the ATC map. At the very least if pinger prim stopped responding it could act as an aleart to try contacting the hub owner or simply go look. There are enough hubs at this point that it's simply not feasable to verify them all on a regular basis manually.

I've had an idea like this for some time now. With a few other features involved as well. So please stay tuned. =D